Installing Redmine

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 24 23:29:28 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 23:14 -0700, Eric Cope wrote:
> I am trying to install a package (redmine). I am interested in
> learning Ruby (I will look to download the book).
> Redmine is a helpdesk, bug tracker, software package. Surprisingly,
> the last release was 3 weeks ago.
> I'll definitely look into using passenger instead if possible.
----
not that suprising. I gather that they are bundling a rails with redmin
(located in vendor/rails) to freeze a specific version of rails and thus
probably wanting to lock into a specific version of the rack gem. As you
might imagine, when you want to upgrade versions of rails, other things
might break along the way so a developer might want to keep things
behind the latest release.

In that case (and also since I am not at all familiar with redmine), you
probably will want to google for help with installing the fcgi gem but
if you are still struggling with it tomorrow, maybe I can try to find my
old notes (if I even saved them) but stopped using it I think in 2007
(for mongrels) and found fcgid to be the weakest link of any rails
program. But now, I am too tired.

Craig

believed to be clean.