Installing Redmine

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 23:14:35 MST 2010

I am trying to install a package (redmine). I am interested in learning Ruby
(I will look to download the book).
Redmine is a helpdesk, bug tracker, software package. Surprisingly, the last
release was 3 weeks ago.
I'll definitely look into using passenger instead if possible.

Eric

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 22:55 -0700, Eric Cope wrote:
> > This is my first time with Ruby. How do I work around the installation
> > of such a package for this software platform (redmine)? Do you have an
> > preferred online references regarding Ruby?
> ----
> It seems like you are trying to run a package, not actually learn ruby
> or rails.
>
> Ruby, the 'Pickaxe' book is the authorative version which I believe the
> first version is freely downloadable but not entirely up to date. I have
> the second version (dead tree form) which I believe is probably out of
> date but it is generally a ruby reference and not any specific help to
> rails applications but invaluable as a ruby reference.
>
> I honestly don't know what redmine is/does.
>
> If the objective is just to run this package and you want to not fight
> it, then I suspect that you will have to install httpd-devel package,
> then try to install fcgi again and then look at the log file referenced
> in the error message if it fails to build (obviously because something
> is missing). But you will also have to configure http to execute the
> fcgi and I've long forgotten how but you can surely find that by google
> searching. But in the end, fcgi is still a miserable, unstable way to
> run a rails application and passenger is very sweet.
>
> Craig

> believed to be clean.

Eric Cope
http://cope-et-al.com