Lookin at Qwest DSL Service

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:09:51 MST 2010

Charles Jones wrote:
> I have Cox residential service, and my fiancee uses Qwest DSL at her
> business. I have never had any real issue from my Cox connection, but her
> DSL is terrible in various ways.
>
> * Modem always starts out at full provisioned rate and throughout the day
> gets slower and slower (according to the web GUI)...perhaps noisy line?

could be a bad PSU (I've seen this before) sometimes plugging into a
small UPS with line conditioning
helps this a lot.
> * Modem constantly reboots itself during the day, which also cycles the
> built-in 5 port switch. This was having the wonderful effect of
> disconnecting her POS system from the main fileserver, as well as
> disconnecting and disrupting ATM and credit card transactions. I "fixed"
> this by installing my own 8 port switch, and moving all the network
> connections to my switch, and uplinking the DSL modem. At least now when it
> decides to reboot itself, it doesn't DOS the rest of the LAN.

does that unit have a wall wart? if so, and its 12 volts out, try
interfacing a small 12v battery.
if the problem goes away, you have a bad wall wart. I had a switch here
that would do that
all the time. I plugged into a 12v battery and the problems went away
(so I have setup all
my switches, and the cablemodem, to live on a single 12v gell cell with
a wall wart to keep
the battery up to charge).

> * Any device (phone, fax machine, alarm system) that picks up the phone line
> causes the modem to go offline and retrain, even though using the supplied
> filters on all of said devices.

bad lines, have qwest come out and do a complete assessment (don't take
no for an answer, and ask
a lot of questions).
> * Wireless is flaky and constantly drops (probably from the modem rebooting
> itself)
>
> * External IP constantly changes every 15m or so. I suppose this could be
> happening when the modem reboots itself and it DHCPs a new address from
> Qwest. DDNS has been a lifesaver here.

if thats a biz account, they shouldn't be changing your IP every 15
minutes. its beginning to sound like
qwest fubared the account and are placing all the heartache on you (the
customer). thats an old story
that qwest lives up to many a time.

> It sounds like all of this could be fixed with a new modem and maybe some
> analysis of the line. It's not my account so I can only do so much, but I
> know she has complained to Qwest and so far nothing has been done. You would
> think a business account would get better service.

its supposed to. she needs to call the biz office and start up the chain
of command. eventually she'll reach
someone in authroity who is authorized to say "yes" and get something
done. she might also consider cox
biz services. they tend to be reliable and stable (according to DSLreports).