OT: Texting Solution

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 17:59:18 MST 2009

Nathan England wrote:
> I use google talk a lot.

Google Talk -> jabber chat messaging, NOT google Voice, though that may
work, too, on thinking about it...

> I use it as my primary phone number now. I have
> a verizon cell phone, but I got the InPulse pay as you go service, so
> text messaging costs me 10 cents a pop. I also use skype and Gizmo, so I
> added my cell, skype and gizmo numbers to my google voice account and I
> love it! I send sms through that as well, but using the google interface
> isn't any different than my current squirrel mail setup.

Verizon (InPulse MAY) have free Verizon->Verizon texts, you should check at
the verizon store/online.

> Or is gtalk different? I have a google talk jabber account...  Now
> you've got me curious, can I add her as a contact in my gmail and have
> sms sent back and forth... oh the possibilities!!!

There is a gmail labs feature that will allow you to send sms through the
GMail chat interface, which is routed to a PTSN number that she can text
back (which appear as IMs) I'm not sure if enabling the feature in gmail
labs will let it work in gtalk or direct through jabber, though.

--
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Fortune:
Sigh.  I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on
the "leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice.
(Craig E. Groeschel)

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.