OT: Texting Solution

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Sat Sep 12 17:49:25 MST 2009

> Got a gtalk account? Add your sister as a contact on it, add her phone
> number to the contact and enable the GMail labs feature to send sms through
> gtalk. I think you can only do it via gmail UI, not xmpp or gtalk, but that
> is a solution. You will even get a dedicated phone number she can add to her
> phone book.
>
> It's google, it's not perfect, but it works.
>
> is your phone verizon?
>
> Ryan

I use google talk a lot. I use it as my primary phone number now. I have
a verizon cell phone, but I got the InPulse pay as you go service, so
text messaging costs me 10 cents a pop. I also use skype and Gizmo, so I
added my cell, skype and gizmo numbers to my google voice account and I
love it! I send sms through that as well, but using the google interface
isn't any different than my current squirrel mail setup.

Or is gtalk different? I have a google talk jabber account...  Now
you've got me curious, can I add her as a contact in my gmail and have
sms sent back and forth... oh the possibilities!!!

nathan