OT: Texting Solution

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 17:43:13 MST 2009

Nathan England wrote:
> My sister and I text eachother quite a bit. Except I do not have a texting
> plan, so I email her phonenumber at vtext.com like all verizon phones work.
> When she sends me an email the message go to a specific imap folder for
> only her messages.
>
> I would love to find a small app, such as kopete or pidgin, that would let
> me send messages to her as simply as clicking on a contact name, and have
> her messages show up the same as an instant message.
>
> Anyone know of something like this for email? Or another solution that
> might work better, other than me getting a texting plan on my phone...?

Got a gtalk account? Add your sister as a contact on it, add her phone
number to the contact and enable the GMail labs feature to send sms through
gtalk. I think you can only do it via gmail UI, not xmpp or gtalk, but that
is a solution. You will even get a dedicated phone number she can add to her
phone book.

It's google, it's not perfect, but it works.

is your phone verizon?

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Fortune:
// Minor lesson: don't fuck about with something you don't fully understand
        -- the dosdoom source code

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.