OT: Do not appreciate the implication that I am "pathetic."

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 23 17:32:17 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 19:06 -0500, Josef Lowder wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > I can't quite figure out if this is an indictment on all Linux in
> > general or the specific distribution that he uses but this is pathetic.
> >
> > If the distribution you choose to use breaks because you update,
> > you need to find a different one...period, end of discussion.
>
> Craig, your comment in response to my question seeking assistance
> regarding 'scp' is not only unhelpful, but it conveys an implication
> that I am (in your opinion) "pathetic" because of my choice (and
> necessity) to keep this one computer (of the six different computer
> systems that I use) unchanged.  It is not possible to safely update
> this particular computer.
>
> This "old reliable" system is the one on which I do much of my work
> because it incorporates a configuration and capabilities that are no
> longer available and cannot be replicated.  Rather than being
> "pathetic," it is actually remarkable that this old system has proved
> to be the *most* rock-solid reliable of all of my systems.  It has
> been running 24/7 for more than 4 years.  It is never shut down except
> for power outages and vacations.  And, praise God, I have *never* had
> a system failure or need to reboot.  This current issue with scp seems
> to have occurred because I changed routers as became necessary to get
> a faster DSL speed.  I had not needed 'scp' since that change until
> recently, and I have now learned that it was apparently because of
> enabling "IP Passthrough" that the inet address got messed up and I
> have not been able to get it restored.
>
> Craig, you have sometimes offered some helpful suggestions on various
> issues in the past (although often with a rather abrupt tone). However
> this kind of belittling ridicule is definitely not helpful. It is so
> much more helpful when comments are of a more positive and
> constructive nature and tone.
----
I'm not exactly sure why you decided to make this about you.

I install Windows, Macintosh or Linux, I should be able to run updates
on a periodic basis to keep the system up-to-date and reasonably free of
know exploits. I do this all of the time on all sorts of OS's...the only
difference is the mechanisms but the concepts are similar. They all MUST
be updated.

If you cannot trust your Linux distribution to update without breaking
that is indeed pathetic. Any implication beyond what I actually said is
yours alone. I take no responsibility for the chip upon your shoulders.

Oh, if you want to get past the stupidity of 2-wire modems/routers...
plug the computers into a separate switch and the switch into the 2-wire
modem/router so it has nothing to do with routing from computer A to
computer B.

Craig

believed to be clean.