OT: Do not appreciate the implication that I am "pathetic."

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Oct 23 17:06:24 MST 2009

Craig White wrote:
> I can't quite figure out if this is an indictment on all Linux in
> general or the specific distribution that he uses but this is pathetic.
>
> If the distribution you choose to use breaks because you update,
> you need to find a different one...period, end of discussion.

Craig, your comment in response to my question seeking assistance
regarding 'scp' is not only unhelpful, but it conveys an implication
that I am (in your opinion) "pathetic" because of my choice (and
necessity) to keep this one computer (of the six different computer
systems that I use) unchanged.  It is not possible to safely update
this particular computer.

This "old reliable" system is the one on which I do much of my work
because it incorporates a configuration and capabilities that are no
longer available and cannot be replicated.  Rather than being
"pathetic," it is actually remarkable that this old system has proved
to be the *most* rock-solid reliable of all of my systems.  It has
been running 24/7 for more than 4 years.  It is never shut down except
for power outages and vacations.  And, praise God, I have *never* had
a system failure or need to reboot.  This current issue with scp seems
to have occurred because I changed routers as became necessary to get
a faster DSL speed.  I had not needed 'scp' since that change until
recently, and I have now learned that it was apparently because of
enabling "IP Passthrough" that the inet address got messed up and I
have not been able to get it restored.

Craig, you have sometimes offered some helpful suggestions on various
issues in the past (although often with a rather abrupt tone). However
this kind of belittling ridicule is definitely not helpful. It is so
much more helpful when comments are of a more positive and
constructive nature and tone.