off-site backup plan

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Oct 19 21:18:11 MST 2009

I make regular backups to a software RAID1 disk array.  I'd like to
periodically store some backups offsite.  Been thinking about buying 2
extra drives, and adding 1 of them as a hot spare to the RAID1.  Then
remove it from the array, store it elsewhere, and add the other disk
in its place as the hot spare.  Every week or so, I'd plan to swap the
offsite disk with the current hot spare.

It seems like this should work.  Anyone care to comment?  If I buy a
hot-swap drive bay for the server, can I add/remove normal SATA drives
without restarting the OS?

I was looking at something like this StarTech caddie, which protects
the disk a bit more than other disk enclosures.
http://www.startech.com/item/DRW110SATBK-Black-Serial-ATA-Drive-Drawer-with-Shock-Absorbers-Value-Series.aspx

thanks,
alex