USB Thumb Drive Issues?

Jason Spatafore jason_online at spatafore.net
Sat Oct 31 22:16:10 MST 2009

Sometimes, you can simply wipe the drive then setup as normal.

dd if=/dev/zero of=<usb drive> bs=512k

It will wipe with zeroes until completed. Then your drive should be
clean. That will rule out whether there is a chip making it read-only or
the partitioning scheme.

I do this drive wipe every day on drives and it works pretty well. Those
"secure" drives are a different story as they have a firmware based 1MB
partition you cannot "delete" via traditional means.