Can Firefox be updated without affecting the rest of my system?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat May 30 13:30:35 MST 2009

Per Jason's suggestion, you can just download and run straight from your
home directory without any issues.  I did this on ubuntu because there
are no .deb's for newer alpha versions, and I wanted to play with it.
Download, untar, and off it went - great way to use without affecting
your base install.  Another option might be to look for backports for
your distribution someone might have purpose built, or roll yer own
package.

All builds of firefox (that I know) will still default and look for your
preference folder under your home directory, so it'll pop up with all
your settings and *compatible* plugins.  I mention the plugins because
few/none of the current generation of extensions work with newer alphas,
so I lost use of those temporarily using the new build (3.5), but
bookmarks, cache, cookies, etc all integrate well enough in a temporary
folder blob o' files.

-mb