Wireless connection problem

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Sun May 17 13:17:30 MST 2009

I have a strange wireless connection problem with my Qwest DSL service
and after an hour on the phone with tech support, we still don't have
a solution, so I hope one of my plug friends can help me solve it.

When upgrading from 1.5 to 7mbp dsl service about a month ago, when we
couldn't get it to work with my 2-Wire modem/router, I got the Qwest
recommended Motorola modem/router. That also proved to be a challenge
to get everything to work, but it did eventually work with my two
laptops wireless connecting okay.

Then we went out of town for a few days and I took one laptop to use
while away.  It connected up to the motel wireless service and worked
fine.  But since I got back, I've not been able to get it to connect
to my Qwest/Motorola modem/router.  I can, however, connect to my
neighbor's unsecured linksys/cox modem/router just fine.  So, I assume
that there is nothing wrong with the laptop we took on our trip, an
IBM thinkpad T40 with an internal Cisco Aironet 802.11b card.

In the control center network center, the qwest3856 SSID shows up with
5-bars signal strength, Managed operating mode, and wep-manual 40/64
bit (10 characters) encryption.  But when I try to connect, it says
"cannot connect."  I reconfigured the router to "no privacy" and can
connect, but I cannot connect with wep security.

What do I need to do to get this to work with a secured connection?