samba rename bug - solution?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 7 20:58:14 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 19:57 -0700, Curtis Zinzilieta wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 20:20 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> > > >

> <snip>
>
> > > ----

> > > ----
> > > Sure - CentOS is repackage of RHEL and Red Hat is reticent to distribute
> > > updates that require changing configuration files where the act of
> > > updating causes things to break. That said, RHEL 5 finally went from
> > > Samba 3.0.10.x to 3.0.28.x because they needed more conformity with
> > > versions of Vista and Win2k8 Server.
> > >

> Close, but not quite.  When we settle the OS for distribution, we
> guarantee ABI and API compatibility for the life of the distribution.
> Only in specific packages or cases will we rebase during the support
> lifetime of the distribution.  As such, we maintain the major version of
> the package, backporting new features, bug fixes, etc, into the existing
> codebase of the package in question.  This allows ISV's and other
> vendors to continue to guarantee supportability for the packages in the
> distribution.
>
> All that said, if you have a problem with a package that is in Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux, but you don't have a support contract, you can still
> research thru our bugzilla, or report a bugzilla regardless of your
> current support status.
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/
>
> If you can post with a reproducer case, it'll get more immediate
> attention.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't personally have a windows computer to test with
> here at home, so I'm not able to lend a more direct hand myself.  Let me
> know if you open a bug.
----
RHEL 5.3 has been out for a while now and with it, samba-3.0.33.x and so
I doubt there would be much interest in a report from either a 3.0.28
installation or whichever third party package he installed.

I gather CentOS is still about 10 days away from release of 5.3...
http://twitter.com/centos

Craig