samba rename bug - solution?

Curtis Zinzilieta curtisz at redhat.com
Sat Mar 7 19:57:01 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 20:20 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 20:03:14 Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 19:11 -0700, Eric Shubert wrote:
> > > I'm using rsync and cygwin to migrate some files from WinXP to samba
> > > (3.0.28-1.el5_2.1) on Centos (5.2). Files that have the read-only
> > > attribute are failing the final rename with "permission denied".

<snip>

> > ----
> >
> > > 3) Any idea why is RHEL/COS so far behind with samba releases?
> >
> > ----
> > Sure - CentOS is repackage of RHEL and Red Hat is reticent to distribute
> > updates that require changing configuration files where the act of
> > updating causes things to break. That said, RHEL 5 finally went from
> > Samba 3.0.10.x to 3.0.28.x because they needed more conformity with
> > versions of Vista and Win2k8 Server.

Close, but not quite.  When we settle the OS for distribution, we
guarantee ABI and API compatibility for the life of the distribution.
Only in specific packages or cases will we rebase during the support
lifetime of the distribution.  As such, we maintain the major version of
the package, backporting new features, bug fixes, etc, into the existing
codebase of the package in question.  This allows ISV's and other
vendors to continue to guarantee supportability for the packages in the
distribution.

All that said, if you have a problem with a package that is in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, but you don't have a support contract, you can still
research thru our bugzilla, or report a bugzilla regardless of your
current support status.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

If you can post with a reproducer case, it'll get more immediate
attention.

Unfortunately, I don't personally have a windows computer to test with
here at home, so I'm not able to lend a more direct hand myself.  Let me
know if you open a bug.

-Curtis

Curtis Zinzilieta, RHCE
Regional Manager