samba rename bug - solution?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sat Mar 7 07:10:13 MST 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 19:11 -0700, Eric Shubert wrote:
>> I'm using rsync and cygwin to migrate some files from WinXP to samba
>> (3.0.28-1.el5_2.1) on Centos (5.2). Files that have the read-only
>> attribute are failing the final rename with "permission denied".
>>
>> Permissions are all ok, and I've verified with manual testing that when
>> attempting to rename a read-only file on a samba share from the Windoze
>> CLI, it fails with "permission denied", so the problem appears to be
>> with samba.
>>
>> I've googled quite a bit, and found an indication that this indeed was a
>> problem with samba and "might be fixed in 3.0.14a. Should be fixed for
>> sure in 3.0.20rc1". So I'm running 3.0.28 (the latest COS5 version) and
>> it appears to not be fixed in that version.
>>
>> 3 questions:
>>
>> 1) Does anyone know which version this might have been fixed in, or if
>> it's fixed yet at all?
> ----
> I would suspect that the version isn't as important here as making sure
> that the filesystem is mounted with extended attributes.

I think it is mounted appropriately, from fstab:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /          ext3    defaults,user_xattr  1 1
Related configuration settings:
         map archive = no
         map hidden = no
         map read only = no
         map system = no
         store dos attributes = yes

FWIW, I tested also on a configuration that doesn't use ext3 extended
attributes, with configuration thus:
;       map archive = no
         map hidden = yes
;       map read only = no
         map system = yes
;       store dos attributes = yes
This had the same result (permission denied).

> You might find the official samba documentation useful here
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html

Thanks. I'll have another gander.

> ----
>> 2) Where might I find a compatible rpm of a newer version of samba?
> ----
> I wouldn't suggest that you jump the shark on this just yet.

I'm reluctant to do so as well.

After posting this last night, I filed a new bug report. Jeremy replied,
suggesting I try reproducing with the latest (3.0.34) release. Not too
big of a deal, that host isn't in production yet.

> ----
>> 3) Any idea why is RHEL/COS so far behind with samba releases?
> ----
> Sure - CentOS is repackage of RHEL and Red Hat is reticent to distribute
> updates that require changing configuration files where the act of
> updating causes things to break. That said, RHEL 5 finally went from
> Samba 3.0.10.x to 3.0.28.x because they needed more conformity with
> versions of Vista and Win2k8 Server.
>
> That said, I think it's your configuration that needs changing, not the
> version of Samba but if you feel you need to install a later version of
> samba...

I hope it turns out to be my configuration. I'll see if I can't tweak
that to get it working as well.

> http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/redhat/5/i386/RPMS.unstable/
>
> has version 3.0.32
> and
> sernet.de should have various 3.2.x and 3.3.x versions suitable for
> installation on RHEL 5/CentOS 5
> http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/tested/centos/5/
>
> Craig

Thanks for the pointers. I'll post the solution when I find it. I may
have you look at my configuration before all's said and done.

--
-Eric 'shubes'