HDTV as a monitor -- high def?

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Tue Mar 3 05:58:53 MST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Ryan Rix <phrkonaleash at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My parents have just purchased a FREAKING HUGE 55" Visio HDTV, so epic win.
>
> Anyways, best feature: It has an RGB monitor input, which lets me hook up a
> computer to it. Can you say Media Center PC? :>
>
> I'm going to be running Kunewbtu on it when I manage to download the iso
> for it and overrun my bloated Fedora install. It'll be running NVIDIA
> proprietary gfx drivers, I'm afraid :(
>
> Question: How much work, if any does it take to run in full resolution
> 1920x1080, if this is possible. I'm not expecting progressive scan or
> anything fancy, just native HD.
> Is this possible/how much work is it to make possible on Kunewbtu? I
> already see myself upgrading the RAM and harddrive on this box mighty fast
> ;)
>
> --
> Thanks and best regards,
> Ryan Rix
> TamsPalm - The PalmOS Blog
> (623)-239-1103 <-- Grand Central, baby!
>
> Jasmine Bowden - Class of 2009, Marc Rasmussen - Class of 2008, Erica
> Sheffey - Class of 2009, Rest in peace.
>
> I did it recently on a windows computer on my 72" HDTV.
All I needed was a video card that has a DVI output that will scale to that
resolution and a DVI to HDMI adapter (you can buy them on ebay or locally at
Frys).

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
jd at twingeckos.com
480.288.8195x201
http://www.twingeckos.com

Groucho Marx  - "I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't
it."