HDTV as a monitor -- high def?

Joshua A. Andler scislac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:13:07 MST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 21:44 -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
> Question: How much work, if any does it take to run in full resolution
> 1920x1080, if this is possible. I'm not expecting progressive scan or
> anything fancy, just native HD.

Not knowing the model of the card makes it more difficult. Hook it up
and see what it can do. :) I've found detection of monitor capabilities
with newer versions of Xorg to be pretty good at telling me things I
didn't know about my hardware. Also, 1920x1080 would (usually) be
progressive, you'd probably prefer to go for 720p if it were between
that and 1080i (if you do plan to use it for typical desktop use).

If you plan on going for a media pc, I'd check some reviews online to
see what the best media center project (or distro focused on that end
use) current is.

Cheers,
Josh