Using fedora instead of ipcop

Paul Mooring drpppr242 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:24:02 MST 2009

Maybe most people would disagree with me on this but I don't think
there's too many advantages to runnning IPcop over a standard linux
distro in the first place if you're only looking to use it as a router.
Any router or firewall distro is more or less an iptables frontend
anyhow. To do it make sure "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" is
in /etc/sysctl.conf and there should be an iptables rule for nat, run
iptables-save and look for a rule that says either -j SNAT --to-source
or -j MASQUERADE, if your existing iptables rules don't have that run
'iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o $EXTIF -j MASQUERADE' where $EXTIF is
your external interface (probably eth0 or eth1), and then you have a
fully functional router.