Using fedora instead of ipcop

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Jun 4 12:57:41 MST 2009

Nadim Hoque wrote:
> Hey
>
> So I was wondering if I could use my fedora machine as a router for my house. I did find a pretty good guide on how to do it but I think it assumes u are using 1 ethernet card. I know I should disable dhcp on my router and install and start dhcp on my fedora box. I also know that I should connect the ethernet cable from the modem to one of the ethernet ports on my fedora box and the other cable to a switch. The reason why I am doing a dhcp using fedora instead of ipcop is because I don't have another box to spare. Also is there a good web based gui front end as well similar to ipcop. By the way I do have a regular router that works but I would like to try this and if not I could go with ipcop or m0n0wall.
>
> Nadim
> Nadim Hoque
> Cell: 480-518-6235
> Address: 6302 West Kent Drive
> Chandler, Arizona 85226
> Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

That would be possible of course, but not recommended. Too many mixed
kinds eggs in the same basket, so to speak.

To do so, you'll need to have IP forwarding turned on, and you'll need
to set up NAT as well. I must admit that I did this with a samba server
before installing my first IPCop box. I'd only do it again if absolutely
necessary.

--
-Eric 'shubes'