Using fedora instead of ipcop

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Jun 4 14:10:00 MST 2009

Yes, any distro can certainly be configured as a firewall.

The primary advantage I see in using a "firewall distro" is that it's
just plain easier, meaning that you don't need as high a level of
expertise in order to make it work. Personally, I'd rather let the
people who do IPCop worry about the intricacies of iptables and other
aspects of firewall functionality (i.e. VPNs). There's also less of a
chance of me screwing something up that way. Using a tailored distro is
a way to leverage OPK (Other People's Knowledge). Why re-invent the
wheel? Then again, if you're comfortable and proficient with iptables
and OpenVPN (or IPSec or whatever), I expect you'd be perfectly
comfortable "rolling your own".

--
-Eric 'shubes'