OT: Politics/Ethics: Operation PinWale - Obama Administration Seeks Emergency Control of the Internet

Jason Spatafore jason_online at spatafore.net
Mon Aug 31 17:56:30 MST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 17:16 -0700, Austin William Wright wrote:
> These additional powers being granted to the executive branch must be
> stopped at all costs. We have already seen what happens when we give
> the
> president the (unconstitutional) power to declare war. Do your
> research
> on the bills and write, but especially, phone our senators and your
> representative.

Yes, because "all costs" are defined as "write or phone your senator and
representative". In my book, "all costs" involves murder, mayhem, guns,
armor, and an all out civil war. Be careful about using "all costs" in
any way.

No, I will continue to demand my right to vote in every election and on
every bill. We are a constitutional republic and I tell you now that I
*do not accept* how this country is being run and how the power lies in
the few. You have provided ample examples already of how tyranny will
continue in this government. I will execute the powers that I have. And
the only power *I* possess is my ability to vote.

And the *few* have already oppressed that enough.

However, until I am provided the ability to voice my concerns with a
quantifiable result (called a vote), this country *is broken*. I will
not "call my Senator" because, honestly, he isn't going to listen (I'm
not a Republican and therefore, did not scratch his back during the
election). He can't handle all the calls and make the appointments and
take care of his constituents. Sure, when the Constitution was written,
it was possible for a Senator and Representative to keep up with the
1000 constituents he had to report to...but that is not how it is today,
and it doesn't work anymore.

So, continue to bring forth your call to arms and literally *beg* the
elected official to do your bidding. Kiss that butt of Senator McCain
and polish his shoes and maybe he will hear you out. Take him to lunch,
if you can get on his appointment book, and express your concerns, then
hope and pray that he listened.

And when you find out that all was for naught...that he already made up
his mind long before you came to his office. That you're down a lunch
and the President has the powers (same an granted to him in the Patriot
Act)...when you realize that your Senator didn't even read the bill..and
really didn't care to because he had a golf game to improve..when you
realize that your Senator is *no better* than a direct Democracy, maybe
you'll realize that it's better to have a direct say in the matter and
watch the vote not go your way than beg somebody else to watch the vote
not go your way.

Either way, you may not get what *you* want..but at least in a direct
Democracy, you'll know that your voice was as equal as everybody
else's...and that is saying a lot more than can be said today.