2.6.31 kernel

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 11:33:20 MST 2009

The problem here is that Linus (and a lot of others) have yet to fix
some of the more pressing problems...:
1. take libata for example; it still doesn't work properly and support
doe some sata drives is lacking at best.
2. Sound doesn't work by default in most installations anymore (you have
to tweak the system settings
    and in some cases, the hardware isn't properly supported)
3. even with the binary only globs from manufacturers like Nvidia or
ATI, the display in X doesn't live up
    to what is advertised most of the time (again, you have to fiddle
with gpu timings, other settings in the
    conf file, et...)

lastly, linux has the "good enough" mentality. put it into operation and
fix the bugs later (which never happens
half the time)

Of course, we cannot DEMAND that the developers fix these problems (as
they are unpaid, etc), but it
would help if they did.