How to overcome a boot-up endless loop?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Aug 27 11:31:53 MST 2009

From: Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com>
> Recently, I found a way to put my IBM Thinkpad T40 running PCLinuxOS
> to sleep rather than turning it off by using:  apm -s

APM has been deprecated for years and years.  I'm surprised that
worked at all.  You're supposed to do

echo "mem" > /sys/power/state

...or something like that.  I don't have my laptop here so I can't
copy/paste the ACPI setup that's worked for me for a long time.

> until yesterday.  Something went amiss,
> and when I tried to restart, I saw this repeating endlessly:
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 1333: /bin/usleep: Input Output error
>
> So, I tried rebooting ... same thing ... and now I can't get the
> system to boot at all.

I'd boot a rescue CD and look at rc.sysinit near line 1333.
/bin/usleep doesn't exist on this Ubuntu box, and it doesn't
exist on these Redhat boxes.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows