How to overcome a boot-up endless loop?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Aug 27 11:27:55 MST 2009

Sounds like there's some kind of corruption in the bios causing apm/acpi
to freak out the kernel.  It seems like you're getting an unchecked
error that's causing the init to hang, probably because the hardware is
being weird.  Try clearing the cmos on the board if you can, or at least
remove the battery fully and see if it clears anything.  Maybe upgrade
the bios as well to see if it jumpstarts or repairs it.

If nothing else, try commenting out the line that uses it in the
rc.sysinit script, though if there are dependencies on it could get
hairy to do so.

-mb