LVM extension into new space and partition edits

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Aug 24 18:55:49 MST 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Michael Butash<michael at butash.net> wrote:

>> Or just fdisk the thing, expand the last partition and reboot.  No
>> need to make things more complex than necessary.
>
> That's the thing, I don't think that'll work.  The PV and subsequent VG and LVM's expect a certain format (I should think) to the blocks of data it will be occupying data on, but I could be mistaken.  Regardless, I think you'll have to prep the new, unused space in such a way it's acceptable to LVM to utilize.  I saw indication through some of those links that pvextend can do this, but I also saw a lot of problems around it.  Adding just another partition as a new PV to be added to the existing VG should prove safest to do.
>
> Your best bet is to take the old mirror and maybe test in another offline box if possible.  You can probably reproduce the experiment quickly on a plain jane box as well.  I wouldn't be too hasty with toasting my data...
>
> -mb

Yes, test it on one of the mirrors (don't believe these guys! [laugh])...

But of course mirroring a 250 yields another 250?

Course you should just be able to add one TB at a time via the
hardware RAID tools:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/07/step-by-step-guide-to-configure-hardware-raid-on-dell-servers-with-screenshots/

Unless you have a perc 6i:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/05/dell-tutorial-create-raid-using-perc-6i-integrated-bios-configuration-utility/

Of course,I would dd the current disk image to backup (across the
network or on a USB external drive) after booting into a Knoppix
pendrive/LiveCD before starting anything so you can get it back.

Once you have expanded your RAID 1 with 2Tb, you can add it back and resize:

http://www.cclug.org/wiki/Main/KnoppixTricks

I like to manipulate my img files in addition to hardware RAID before
backup -- too many years of Perc - olation failures....!
--
http://linuxgazette.net/165/kachold.html
(623)239-3392