LVM extension into new space and partition edits

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Aug 24 18:07:02 MST 2009

> Or just fdisk the thing, expand the last partition and reboot.  No
> need to make things more complex than necessary.

That's the thing, I don't think that'll work.  The PV and subsequent VG and LVM's expect a certain format (I should think) to the blocks of data it will be occupying data on, but I could be mistaken.  Regardless, I think you'll have to prep the new, unused space in such a way it's acceptable to LVM to utilize.  I saw indication through some of those links that pvextend can do this, but I also saw a lot of problems around it.  Adding just another partition as a new PV to be added to the existing VG should prove safest to do.

Your best bet is to take the old mirror and maybe test in another offline box if possible.  You can probably reproduce the experiment quickly on a plain jane box as well.  I wouldn't be too hasty with toasting my data...

-mb