LVM extension into new space and partition edits

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Aug 24 17:40:57 MST 2009

> On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 16:49 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>> Now the partition table of the mirrored 1TB drives still only has
>> partitions to use up to the old 250GBs.

>> # fdisk -l
>> Disk /dev/sda: 248.9 GB
>> Am I on the right track, to use "parted" and expand the partition
>> definition before expanding a logical volume?

Or just fdisk the thing, expand the last partition and reboot.  No
need to make things more complex than necessary.

From: Michael Butash <michael at butash.net>
> I don't think you want to resize your pv partition

?  Why not?  Use fdisk to make it larger, reboot, then run pvresize
on the PV, then run lvresize on the LV, then run resize2fs on the
filesystem on the LV.  Nothing to it.  If there's a total power
failure while pvresize is running, and you don't have a UPS, then
you're probably completely boned.  But that's always a risk.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows