OT: Handling Politics the plug-discuss way?

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 22:53:03 MST 2009

Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> I mean god, a few extra
> emails in your inbox and the world is coming to an end?  get over it.

The problem is that for a new user, who is instantly presented with a fairly
heated discussion on politics that may or may not contain
FUD/untrue/misinformed thoughts could possible deter said user from
participating in a NOT-OT discussion, or from participating in the list at
all.

It's not about 'getting over it' or anything, it's about making sure that
the list is about, well, discussing GNU/Linux :) The politics, while
interesting and engaging detract from this for users who may not be able to
go through all of their plug-discuss mail all day, or may not want to take
part in these discussions. Many of those users may be lurkers on the list
for this very reason...

I'm not saying that something -needs- to occur, only that a discussion
regarding it -needs- to occur. I understand that these discussions may be
productive in the getting-people-to-talk-and-articulate-their-thoughts
department, but they pretty much fail in the talk-about-gnu/linux
department...

--
---
Ryan Rix

Seriously, the way I did this was by using a special /sbin/loader binary
with debugging hooks that I made ("dd" is your friend: binary editors
are for wimps).
	-- Linus Torvalds, in an article on a dnserver

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://twitter.com/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.