Oracle buys Sun!

Francis Earl francis.earl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:32:05 MST 2009

> Why did they buy Sun? Is that all these rich people do?
>
> "Hmmm... *fingertip-touching in front of own face thing* How can I get
> my name on Slashdot again... *yawn* Ah, hell, I'll just buy Sun."

I think the reasoning is quite obvious, they want to offer an entire stack.
Now, not only do they get primary control of Java and Solaris, they also get
the hardware lines, so they can offer even more than they could with the
Unbreakable Linux offering.

I think it makes a lot of sense, depending on how it is executed, and is more
likely to get though anti-trust scrutiny compared to the IBM offer.

I predict though that a LOT of Sun employees will be let ago, especially those
that aren't developers, which is a shame in this current economic climate. Sun
makes about $13.5 billion in sales, but net income is less than $500million...
Oracle makes about $22 billion but has a net income of $6 billion... they are
already predicting they'll make $1.5 billion extra in the first year.

Sad day for Sun, but potentially very good for those reliant on java and other
technologies from them.