Oracle buys Sun!

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 08:53:45 MST 2009

your geek is showing :-)

"I do seriously love Sun hardware however....N1 cluster over a fine
T2000 with 2450 fiber channel system is well, you have to taste one to
appreciate...."

but i would been quite sad to see zfs go away.. I'm seriously looking
into the idea of a sun based san. and also looking at some of the sun
servers for use here as xenserver host(s). and i really dont think
oracle is going to write off sun, it would make no sense to them
unless it was "that bad"

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
> They just didn't want IBM to write SUN off at a loss - since their
> competing products with Redhat/JBOSS/Blades (can you say "backplane"?)
> are so much higher dollar ROI.
>
> A great number of enterprise web and database Oracle farms run on Sun
> Hardware and Sun Unix [I have built and supported them for 20
> years...]
>
> Some say that XEN and other Virtualization products available in
> portal IBM systems (RHEL) and blades are so s-hexy as to make zfs and
> zones/containers laughable?
>
> I do seriously love Sun hardware however....N1 cluster over a fine
> T2000 with 2450 fiber channel system is well, you have to taste one to
> appreciate....
>
> I doubt very much if Oracle really had much of a choice.  What is
> going to be interesting is what will happen in the way of:
>
> 1) Hardware offerings
> 2) Offshored/Outsourced support
> 3) Technology level for product base
>

> On 4/20/09, Andrew "Tuna" Harris <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from James Mcphee's message of Mon Apr 20 04:52:33 -0700 2009:
>>> It was just announced that Oracle is buying Sun.  This is not a drill.
>>> How
>>> is this going to play out for Java and MySQL?
>>>
>> Why did they buy Sun? Is that all these rich people do?
>>
>> "Hmmm... *fingertip-touching in front of own face thing* How can I get
>> my name on Slashdot again... *yawn* Ah, hell, I'll just buy Sun."

> www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
> "Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand

Stephen