Oracle buys Sun!

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Apr 20 20:03:26 MST 2009

They just didn't want IBM to write SUN off at a loss - since their
competing products with Redhat/JBOSS/Blades (can you say "backplane"?)
are so much higher dollar ROI.

A great number of enterprise web and database Oracle farms run on Sun
Hardware and Sun Unix [I have built and supported them for 20
years...]

Some say that XEN and other Virtualization products available in
portal IBM systems (RHEL) and blades are so s-hexy as to make zfs and
zones/containers laughable?

I do seriously love Sun hardware however....N1 cluster over a fine
T2000 with 2450 fiber channel system is well, you have to taste one to
appreciate....

I doubt very much if Oracle really had much of a choice.  What is
going to be interesting is what will happen in the way of:

1) Hardware offerings
2) Offshored/Outsourced support
3) Technology level for product base

On 4/20/09, Andrew "Tuna" Harris <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from James Mcphee's message of Mon Apr 20 04:52:33 -0700 2009:
>> It was just announced that Oracle is buying Sun.  This is not a drill.
>> How
>> is this going to play out for Java and MySQL?
>>
> Why did they buy Sun? Is that all these rich people do?
>
> "Hmmm... *fingertip-touching in front of own face thing* How can I get
> my name on Slashdot again... *yawn* Ah, hell, I'll just buy Sun."

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand