Oracle buys Sun!

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:36:43 MST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:52 AM, James Mcphee <jmcphe at gmail.com> wrote:
> It was just announced that Oracle is buying Sun.  This is not a drill.  How
> is this going to play out for Java and MySQL?

I've been quite fond of OpenSolaris lately.    What I really hope they
do is license ZFS and Dtrace for GPLv2 so Linux can use them.  They
did mention Solaris a bit in the press releases, so it is a major part
of the deal.    It's not a bad OS and is open source.    If they
license it GPLv2, everybody will win in the end.   Solaris will get to
borrow drivers from Linux and Linux will get ZFS and Dtrace.

As for Java, just look at the nightmare that is OAS (Oracle
Application Server).    Hopefully they'll fire that entire unit (sans
the guys responsible for TopLink) and replace it with Glassfish.   If
they try to use their own Java people, it'll be a mess and Java will
suffer.   That much is proven by their track record with OAS.

I think MySQL will live on but its name will change to one of the
forks like Drizzle or the other bit one whose name I forget.    Then
again, maybe they'll start adding PL/SQL and other goodies to MySQL
and evolve it into a kind of gateway drug to Oracle, which would be
just fine with me.  I'd love to be able to do full Oracle SQL and
PL/SQL in MySQL and scale up to full Oracle later on.   Almost nobody
writes straight to the C API's any more so it's feasible.

Anyways, those are my fanboi dreams for this deal.   I really look
forward to seeing how this plays out.   It's definitely going to be
more interesting and less scary than the IBM deal would have been.

-Al Tobey