SAN storage practical list of options

Ryan Meldrum ryjame at cox.net
Sun Apr 19 09:46:14 MST 2009

On a slightly different note, I support a large san based off of HP EVA
storage (~60tb) attached to a clustered GS320 running Tru64 Unix and another
system HP GS1280) attached to the same fabric using an additional 24tb.  Also
a system running HPUX (two RX8620's) also attached to about 48TB.  This is not
a cheap solution an probably not what you are looking for, but we have tested
RH AS4 with it and love the reliability and speeds we were getting from the
EVA's ( a mix of EVA5000 (2gig/s) and EVA8000 (4gig/s) ).  What we hate is the
footprint.  Others have mentioned 9tb in 1u.  These are large racks requiring
220v power and lots of cooling.  The 60tb is in 5 cabinets (4 for disk and one
for the san fabric) and the 24tb is in 3 cabs (smaller disks).  The 48tb is in
3 cabs and has it's own rack for the switches.  All the above require an SMA
(each) running Windows.

Real world: Great for speed, redundancy, and reliability.  High cost.