Untangle Firewall

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sat Apr 11 11:05:52 MST 2009

Chipper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have never heard of this before yesterday when a new version was
> announced on DistroWatch.  Has anyone tried this before?
>
> I want to set up a new firewall system when I move over the summer and
> was leaning towards IPCOP.  Looking at Untangle
> (http://www.untangle.com/tabs) it seems like it would be a good fit as
> well.
>
> Since I've never heard of it or used it I wanted to know if anyone else has.
>
> Thanks.

I had a look at it several months ago. The user interface is really
slick. Comes at a price though. It needs significantly more (expensive)
hardware to run than IPCop. I also found the email scanning features to
be inappropriate for a firewall (spamassassin on a firewall? I don't
think so).

BL, I prefer (and use) IPCop. You can run it easily on an old machine
that would otherwise be recycled (Pentium I or II, 128M RAM, 3G HDD).
Something "built for Win95" or later would suffice. Just toss in a 1 or
2 nics, and you're good to go.

--
-Eric 'shubes'