SLUG

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Apr 2 00:37:15 MST 2009

Am 01. Apr, 2009 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Why fragment from PLUG?

> I don't know what you are asking.  Some of us attend PLUG functions as
> well.  I work most PLUG Installfests and attend more East side meetings than
> not.  But living in Apache Junction makes those a fair trek.

Thanks for all that participation!

> As to starting a new LUG, we did that a few years ago with support from PLUG
> folks.  We are mostly retired folks active in community computer clubs and
> members of the East Valley Association of Computer Clubs which is a member
> of the Arizona Association of Computer Clubs.  So we might ask why PLUG
> wanted to fragment from us.  ROFL.

To me, it's not fragmenting. The key is that we all continue working
together. I'm in favor of promoting events for SLUG, the LoCo, ASULUG,
etc. because they all work as opportunities for the Free Software
community to reach out. I wish I could make all the activities, but even I
have to sleep sometime.

In the Valley we're especially hard pressed due to a huge geographical
area and a low population density. We actually need different groups to
give people an opportunity to participate and learn.

Maybe we should start LRLUG and do meetings travelling from one side of
the valley to the other. It could be Stammtisch on either end and a one
hour presentation going from one end to the other :).

> Anyway, some of us wanted to play in the Linux world and found PLUG to be
> too far away and to some extent too professionally focused.  So we
> participate but went out own route to focus on our goals.  We started by
> doing projects together to help us learn.

Which is awesome. That's one of the great things about Free Software, it's
whatever you want it to be.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Wasted day. Wasted life. Dessert, please."  -- Steven Meretzky