OT: Speed Cams

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Wed Apr 1 10:08:54 MST 2009

Just a note to my fellow phoenix drivers. Yesterday it was announced
that the federal government has allocated $275 million in stimulus money
for the purchase of 350 speed cameras to be put up in the Phoenix area.
We all know about the speed cams on the 51 and such, but these are being
put on the surface streets!  They even have already planned where they
will go: http://media.bonnint.net/az/15/1516/151641.jpg

I also heard on the radio this morning that they are lowering the 11mph
overspeed grace limit down to 5mph, which means if you go 5 mph over,
you will get auto-ticketed by a speed cam, and more likely to be pulled
over by police using radar.

P.S.  Apparently due to current "flaws" in litigation, you do not have
to pay a speedcam ticket as the law says you must be served in person
(How are they to know that you received the mail with the ticket, so
they can't put a warrant out for your arrest for not paying it).

This has been a public service announcement :-)