problem installing Ubuntu in Windows

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:08:56 MST 2008

Sorry, I have not gotten back to you sooner.  My mother had surgery
Monday and most of my time has been taken.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Dennis <dennischap at ureach.com> wrote:
> This is what is happening:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/quartzsite.gen/UbuntuProblems#

When you get to the photo 6 screen, hit escape (be ready as you only
have a few seconds to do it).  When the command line is shown, remove
the word "quiet".  That should let the system put out more messages
which might help see what is wrong.  They may go by too fast to read,
but may show an error message or just pause during an activity.  Just
note what you can or try taking a picture.

> No I'm not 64 bit. I have run chkdsk hoping that will do a clean shutdown.
> Yes I got the same result with the liveCD & wubi, but it looks like the
> liveCD just launches Wubi when you install from windows.

Yes it does.

> I do run norton goback and it kicks in before I get the option to boot in
> Unbutu, I don't know if that might cause some problems.

It is possible but I doubt it.  You should be able to just turn goback
off for the install and back on later to check that.

> I also have a dead
> DVD burner in my computer & either a dead wireless card or corrupted driver.
> I don't know if that could be the problem.

I don't see how they would do anything but possibly slow the install.

**** Just found
http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?s=d5dc51470ca2ff247d6a929a18636e90&t=842182

which does seem to jive with a number of other comments about wubi
failures to busybox resulting from an inability to mount another FS
such as the NTFS you are trying to install into.  Even if this does
not solve the issue it is an easy try.

> Thanks everyone!!!
> Dennis
>
> plug-discuss-request at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us wrote:
>>
>>  Dennis, I have done a number of regular and wubi installs.  Your
>> hardware would not seem to be a problem here.  I do not know if
>> anything in XP SP3 is an issue.  Especially I do not know if your SP3
>> is causing problems because of the AMD processor but some do.  Also I
>> would ask if you are running a 64-bit version of XP? Or a 64 bit
>> version of ubuntu.
>>
>> One thing to be clear on is that you do not initiate a wubi install by
>> rebooting.  You load the CD while running windows and (assuming
>> autorun is on) a window will pop up with a menu.  The second item is
>> to install ubuntu within windows.  That is probably what you used to
>> try the wubi install, but please verify that.
>>
>> Once you make your choices in the dialog box, wubi will create the
>> files needed within the Windows file system (probably NTFS) and adjust
>> the Windows boot.ini (for XP) to have a menu which includes both
>> ubuntu and windows.  Ubuntu is not yet installed, but the wubi
>> structure is.  It will request a reboot which (assuming you choose
>> ubuntu from that menu) will boot into the wubi system which will run
>> the ubuntu install from the image it made previously.
>>
>> I was also not clear whether you got precisely the same result during
>> a LiveCD install from booting from the CD as you got during the wubi
>> install from within windows.

> 7:06 PM

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and
what they ought to be.
  - William Hazlitt