Floor plan drawing program?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sat Oct 25 22:11:55 MST 2008

Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> This is kind of funny... AutoCAD is not (and IMO never will be)
> high-end CAD software.  It's expensive middle-tier stuff. All of the
> top-end CAD/CAM software (like ProE, CATIA, Cadence, Synopsis,
> etc...) is Linux and/or Unix software (with some cross-platform for
> the companies with PHB's setting policy).  Windows just can't handle
> the kinds of activities serious pro CAD/CAM software needs.  I
> suppose Architects may use stuff like AutoCAD on Windows, but the
> engineers, IME, all use Linux or Solaris.

I hadn't actually heard of any of the "top-end" software systems you
describe (not in that market) so I had to look them up.  I couldn't find
out anything on Synopis but of the three remaining examples, TWO no
longer have Linux support at all and CATIA is going Windows only for
their next version.  So apparently the top-end systems don't agree that
"Windows just can't handle... serious pro CAD/CAM software needs".

Now I know you were trying to show that it's silly to say that Linux
can't handle CAD systems... but it's equally as silly to claim that
Windows can't, either.