Floor plan drawing program?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Oct 25 21:25:48 MST 2008

This is kind of funny...
AutoCAD is not (and IMO never will be) high-end CAD software.  It's expensive middle-tier stuff.
All of the top-end CAD/CAM software (like ProE, CATIA, Cadence, Synopsis, etc...) is Linux and/or Unix software (with some cross-platform for the companies with PHB's setting policy).  Windows just can't handle the kinds
of activities serious pro CAD/CAM software needs.  I suppose Architects may use stuff like AutoCAD on Windows, but the engineers, IME, all use Linux or Solaris.

Full disclosure: my new company is developing ultra-high-end CAD/CAE/CAM software for microelectronics (like Cadence, except with automation, and it's actually correct). It's cross-platform, but it seems to run best on Linux (thanks to better resource management, mostly).