list moderation options

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Fri Nov 7 08:08:03 MST 2008

On Nov 7, 2008, at 1:18 AM, der.hans wrote:

> moin moin,
>
> this is request for information about possible technical options. I
> don't
> know about mailing list managers that have the primary features I'd
> like
> to consider.

We had one day of flaming.  It's exceptional, not normal.  It doesn't
require a mechanical solution.  I can count on 1 hand the number of
days like this since I've been a list member.  (maybe 3 or 4 years now?)

Since Wednesday, we've had several days of hang-wringing about what to
do about it.  This is unnecessary.  Things will get back to normal.
It would be over by now if we weren't obsessing about how to deal with
it.  A technical solution will have too many unwanted side-effects,
and will hurt more than just riding this out.

I am not one to say 'anything goes'.  I would like to keep things a
bit more on-topic, or at least to have the off-topic stuff die off a
little more quickly.  But the alternatives to just dealing with it are
more nuisance than they're worth.

alex