list moderation options

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Nov 7 01:18:53 MST 2008

moin moin,

this is request for information about possible technical options. I don't
know about mailing list managers that have the primary features I'd like
to consider.

Does anyone know of a mailing list manager that can...

Automagically throttle/moderate threads that get more than x number of
posts in y minutes?

Add time-based moderation points to posters for a variety of reason, such
as posting to an automagically detected flame war, such that they end up
being short term moderated if they receive too many moderation points in a
particular amount of time?

Allow social weighting for list members or posts in such a way that can be
interpretted by mail clients?

Allow interfacing with a web forum that can do any or all of those things?

Are there mail clients that will allow individuals to use filter rules
to add rankings/weightings to different email addresses and give them
weighting on their side? Bonus if it can tie into a social-network type of
shared ranking.

Are there any other techniques we should consider?

Everything keeps moving to the server such that the service provider
controls all the data and all of the available features. We need to
realize that more and more people will expect filtering at the server
rather than at the client. Traditional mailing lists don't do that.

One of the features of Free Software is freedom and control over your
environment. We need a way to introduce people to why that freedom is
important, but we also need to realize that it's not practical for people
to do everything themselves.

Indeed, full exercise of our freedom and control would indicate we get
the hardware specs and then individually write our own OS, tools and
applications. Even that isn't fully free as full freedom would also
involve designing and manufacturing the hardware. It would also involve
gathering the raw materials and creating the base materials used in the
manufacturing process...

We might get there someday, but it won't be this year.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "If it's not a toy you're looking at it wrong." -- der.hans