Samba Server Help Needed

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 1 16:55:08 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 16:14 -0700, Mike Hoy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to set up samba on my laptop so I can share between my windows
> machine and this Ubuntu laptop. Going to be adding a third computer
> soon so I'm trying to get this done right before I build the third. I
> have no experience with networking so I'm sure I'm missing something
> obvious.
>
> In Ubuntu (laptop) I can go to Places > Computer > Network Servers and
> I see Windows Network, then I open that and I can see "HOME". That
> shows Dell-Desktop and Mike-Laptop. I can click on Dell-Desktop and
> that opens a new windows. I try to create a file there and it says:
> Operation not supported by back end.
>
> In windows:
> I go to My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers > Mike-Laptop >
> and that shows:
>
> MyFiles
> PDF
> Printer and faxes
>
> I try to open MyFiles and it asks for username/password, but every
> combination I try doesn't work.
>
> This is the guide I followed.
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605&highlight=setup+samba+windows+network
>
> The only thing I didn't follow in it was use WINS because it said not
> to if I use dhcp.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> smb.conf attached.
----
windows system...
- enable file sharing on Firewall (using Windows Firewall or something
else?)
- enable sharing on some folder somewhere so you can read from / save
files
  to this 'shared' folder

linux system...
- what is output of 'ls -ld /home/samba'
- according to your smb.conf, you have a group named HOME, that doesn't
seem right
- test linux permissions from command line first because this will save
  bunch of time:

# smbclient -L //SRV1 -U craig
Enter craig's password:
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-1.el4_6.5]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Main File Server)
        Software        Disk      Installer Images
        Music           Disk      Music Files
        Macintosh OSX   Disk      Macintosh OSX Updates
        Macintosh Classic Disk      Macintosh Classic OS Updates
        Linux stuff     Disk      Linux Updates
        Win 2K XP       Disk      Windows updates for 32 bit
        Win 95 98 ME    Disk      Windows updates for 16 bit
        Storage         Disk      Mail File Storage
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        officejet       Printer   officejet
        oscar           Printer   Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
        craig           Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-1.el4_6.5]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SRV1                 Main File Server
        WIN-WORKSTATION

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        AZAPPLE              SRV1

Once you can connect as -U $USER, then you should be able to connect
from Windows computer onto Linux computer.

The concept is fairly simple minded, I have a Linux user named 'craig',
I have a samba user named craig. They can have different passwords but
they could be the same.

Linux user...
 passwd craig # sets craig password

Same user...
 smbpasswd -a craig #adds user craig
 smpasswd craig # prompts for password for user craig

# ls -ld /home/craig
drwxr-xr-x 128 craig craig 12288 2008-11-01 16:40 /home/craig

Only the user 'craig' could actually save files to this folder if it
were shared by samba since the group 'craig' doesn't have write
privileges but the 'user' craig does.

Last recommendation - FWIW...

Always start with the official documentation even though it's
voluminous. The simplifications like the one you pointed to is outdated
(this suggestion, socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 is for 2.4 kernel and is
obsolete), (this suggestion, interfaces = lo, eth0 - seems like a good
idea but may not be what you want at all). Official samba documentation
is at http://samba.org/samba/docs (see 'Official Howto' and 'By Example'
on left side)

Craig