Samba Server Help Needed

Mike Hoy mhoy06 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 16:14:14 MST 2008

Hello,

I tried to set up samba on my laptop so I can share between my windows
machine and this Ubuntu laptop. Going to be adding a third computer
soon so I'm trying to get this done right before I build the third. I
have no experience with networking so I'm sure I'm missing something
obvious.

In Ubuntu (laptop) I can go to Places > Computer > Network Servers and
I see Windows Network, then I open that and I can see "HOME". That
shows Dell-Desktop and Mike-Laptop. I can click on Dell-Desktop and
that opens a new windows. I try to create a file there and it says:
Operation not supported by back end.

In windows:
I go to My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers > Mike-Laptop >
and that shows:

MyFiles
PDF
Printer and faxes

I try to open MyFiles and it asks for username/password, but every
combination I try doesn't work.

This is the guide I followed.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605&highlight=setup+samba+windows+network

The only thing I didn't follow in it was use WINS because it said not
to if I use dhcp.

Any help appreciated.

smb.conf attached.

--