HDHomeRun + Basic Cable + MythTV

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:15:12 MST 2008

You may get away with your VIA EPIA M-10000 if you have an NVidia card
that supports XvMC. The oldest cards that do a good job with this are
the Ti4200 series (but not the 4600!!!) You can pick-up older cards
for super cheap on ebay that aren't good for today's gaming but will
do XvMC support very well...although there are some known issues with
XvMC and HD sized frames. Check the mythtv wiki for an accurate list
of which ones have xvmc support.

I also know that there is XvMC for VIA...look in your deinterlacing
options an try a couple of configurations. You may be able to breathe
more life into it yet.

My media box is currently a P4 3.0 ghz with 1GB PC3700 and an old
Ti4600. Its uses about 20-30% to play 720p / 1080i HDTV. I *was* able
to do the same on my old AMD 1800+ with a Ti4200 and XvMC until the
card died a year or so ago...so I built the current system with parts
lying around. So far so good.

Another note: I have my server in the back room doing all the
recording...my media box pulls all its actual media across the network
from the mythtv backend, which in turn is pulling them from an
HDHomeRun.

- Erich

--
"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes