OT: Linux - Stop holding our kids back

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Dec 10 14:18:25 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:

> Yes it's an urban anti-technology myth, cleverly posted here by trolls!

While it would not surprise me if the story turns out to be fake, I
still find it believable.

Over the years I have encountered real-life people in the Gilbert
Public School system and in business that are like the teacher in this
story.  I had a brief discussion with one gentleman who was completely
adamant that MS was the only way, FLOSS == communism and actually used
the phrase that "Linux would hold our kids back."  He was quite
serious and I dropped the conversation simply to stop the vitriol.

Another example: The Boy Scouts of America Computers Merit Badge book
has a section on copyrights.  It states that "copying any software is
against the law," (or words to that effect) which is, of course,
false.  This shows an ignorance of copyright principles and
possibilities in an otherwise acceptable book for teaching technology
to children.  That such ideas exist in school systems around the world
should be expected.  If a teacher was told that all copying of
software was illegal without balancing information, they might react
by confiscating CDs.

Combining such ignorant and intolerant beliefs in a teacher with a
power-trip attitude could easily result in the actions and words
described in the article.  Of this I have no doubt.

Alan