OT: Linux - Stop holding our kids back

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Wed Dec 10 12:24:34 MST 2008

Now I have only been out of public schools for about a decade but I was in
school when computers were a novelty and not a normality. In Junior High and
High school I creatively reallocated the schools network to my own liking
which brought on a "technology policy" so the schools are typically a few
years behind the curve as with all IT the limited budget  money is better
spent elsewhere until something arises where they have to spend money there.
The point is through school I saw a progression from no computers in school
to a small computer lab for the whole school to at least 2 in every
classroom. It wasn't until late in high school that I saw Microsoft in the
schools. For the most part all the computer progression in the schools was
from apple.  So I would not really give in Microsoft conspiracy. In the
words of Linus, "I don't try to be a threat to Microsoft, mainly because I
don't really see MS as competition. Especially not Windows-the goals of
Linux and Windows are simply so different."

I think the numbers game is cool and all as the user base grows so does
support from hardware vendors but at the same time often the reverse
engineers do a better job on the drivers then the OEM.

James Finstrom
Rhino Equipment Corp.