Exim on Ubuntu

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Aug 19 22:01:07 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Eric Cope wrote:
> apt-get'ed exim and mailutils. I installed and ran the dpkg-reconfigure
> command. I am trying to use an external smtp server
> (mail.voltampmedia.com). I highly doubt my ISP blocks smtp

Think again.  Many, many places block or silently discard traffic to port 25
that doesn't match one of @SMALLNUM destination addresses.  There are far too
many damned spam zombies out there, you know.  Check your logs for details.

> The mail command works. I see the mail in the queue (sudo mailq).
> However, the mail just sits in the queue, never going anywhere.

Check the logs.  Crank the log level up and then force a redelivery attempt
with the exim equivalent of "postqueue -f" if there's nothing in the logs.

> The lack of google results scares me. Either it is so insanely easy, that
> its not even worth putting tutorials online, or

It sounds like you want to use a smarthost.  As such, check out
http://wiki.exim.org/FAQ/Routing_to_remote_hosts/Q0304 as well as the obvious
toplevel site.  The default Debian config for exim is also a complete mess,
about 10 separate files when it should really be 1 file, and there's a way to
fix that but it's been forever since I worked with it.  There's a ton of
useful info in the README and on the wiki.  HTH anyway,

--
   Seemingly ordinary humans transform into rage-fueled sarcasm
   dispensers.  I love it!  --Patrick Shaughnessy