Disappearing Panels on Gnome/Ubuntu

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Sun Apr 20 14:20:46 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 20:42 -0400, vodhner at cox.net wrote:
> I upgraded to Hardy Heron with the idea that it might re-populate the
> buttons, but no such luck.

This is on purpose, user settings are always saved on upgrade even if
they are crazy :)

> Q1:  How do I create a panel when there are no panels to start from?

You should be able to just start gnome-panel from the command line.

> Q2:  Where does Gnome put this stuff, so I can tuck away a copy to
> reload from?

The settings are all stored in GConf.  GConf is a beautiful system
because it provides all the settings in a layered fashion.  So you can
always set an setting back to the system default easily.  Here would be
the command to reset all your panel settings:

   gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel/

		--Ted