Disappearing Panels on Gnome/Ubuntu

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 02:17:23 MST 2008

Pretty sure the gnome panels are kept in gconf.  You could use a GUI
(gconf-editor), or I guess toast the whole directory and restore defaults
when you login again and it's recreated :)

~/.gconf/apps/panel/ and subdirs and the file names are %gconf.xml

Good luck.  It's pretty simple once you start pulling the files apart, but
that doesn't mean it's not cludgy, complex, and c...horrifying.

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM, <vodhner at cox.net> wrote:

> I have encountered a problem where some buttons on my Gnome desktop
> panels, and finally the panels themselves, have disappeared.  I can get some
> stuff done from the command line, but I'm pretty crippled ... had to create
> another account on my box to get a fresh desktop!
>
> I upgraded to Hardy Heron with the idea that it might re-populate the
> buttons, but no such luck.
>
> I tried diff-ing some of the Gnome-related setup files in my home
> directory, against those of the newly created account, and did not find
> anything helpful.
>
> So:
>
> Q1:  How do I create a panel when there are no panels to start from?
>
> Q2:  Where does Gnome put this stuff, so I can tuck away a copy to reload
> from?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Victor

James McPhee