Sendmail authentication configuration?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Sep 24 11:14:31 MST 2007

Craig White wrote:
> it seems pretty absurd because the whole point of exchanging mail is to
> use well-known services.

Yes, it is absurd.  The whole situation, were I to tell the entire
story, is absurd.  But, I'm not the IT department and must live within
the choices of others.

> for data exchange between two systems and keep it private, it should be
> done via an encrypted tunnel (VPN) or at least through an ssl tunnel.

Yep, you are right again.

> as for sendmail doing what you want to do, there are endless amounts of
> documentation for sendmail configuration but it seems that the flaw is a
> conceptual, not a practical problem.

Exactly true too.  Sendmail is so configurable that it probably can do
what I need.  I'm just still to thick to understand the answer.

Getting this working is important but not an emergency yet.  I've spent
too much time on it today.  I'll read more this evening and see what I
can do to connect the dots.

All input is always welcome.

Alan